Alachua County School Board 352-955-7700

Columbia County School Board 386-755-8000

Dixie County School Board 352-498-1308

Gilchrist County School Board 352-463-3200

Levy County School Board 352-486-5231

Suwannee County School Board 386-647-4600

Union County School Board 386-496-2045

Children in schoolEnrolling Your Child in School

If you have questions about enrolling, don't be concerned. You'll find answers to the most commonly asked questions listed below.

How old does my child have to be to attend school?
Under state law, a child must be 5 years old by September 1st to enter kindergarten. To enter first grade, a child must be 6 by September 1st, and must have attended kindergarten.

How do I know which school my child will attend?
The Zoning Office at the School Board can identify your child's school. Contact the office, provide your address, and you will be given the name and address of the school your child will be attending.

Back to schoolHow do I go about enrolling my child in the school?
You may go to the school at any time during regular hours to enroll your child, even during the summer. You may also call the school to make an appointment.

What sort of paperwork will I need to enroll my child? You should bring the following items to the school: 2 proofs of residence. This may be a rental or lease agreement, utility bill, deed, sales agreement or property tax bill.

Health Records

The Department of Health Form 680 is the required immunization document. You can ask the staff at your doctor's office, clinic or the Health Department to fill out the form for you. You will need to have your child's immunization record with you in order to obtain the form. You may also bring a copy of the official, documented immunizations which your child has received at his or her to the school. School nurses can transfer those vaccinations to the Florida form.

Proof of Name and Age

A certified copy of a birth certificate or an acceptable substitute is required by Florida law for children entering kindergarten. An acceptable substitute may be:

  1. Baptismal certificate showing date of birth and place of baptism, accompanied by parent's sworn affidavit
  2. Insurance policy on child which has been in force at least two years
  3. Bible record of child's birth accompanied by parent's sworn affidavit
  4. Passport or certificate of arrival in the United States showing age of child 5. School record, at least four years prior, showing date of birth 6. Parent's sworn affidavit accompanied by certificate of examination or School records. Items such as withdrawal forms, standardized test scores and recent report cards will help the school place your child appropriately. If you don't have these items, provide the school with the name and address of your child's previous school so the necessary information can be obtained.
  5. Social Security card: We request that you bring your copy of your child's Social Security card. A copy will be made and kept with your child's folder for identification purposes.

Who can I call for more information?
The Zoning Office can answer any other questions you may have. They'll be happy to help.

This information was compiled from the School Board of Alachua County's web site at it is generally correct for all of North Central Florida. You should contact the school board or zoning office of the county where you will be moving to verify all requirements and to verify the correct schools that your children will attend.